Monday, December 31, 2012

Over the Cliff...and into the New Year!

Last year, I wrote the new year's post just before Christmas, but this year, I didn't get around to it until tonight (New Year's Eve).  The title of the post reflects a few different things, but mainly that the country is tumbling over the fiscal cliff in a few short hours.  Hooray, higher taxes.  I know we'll only be over the cliff  for less than a day most likely, but I'm still angered by it.  I'm also angry because the newest proposal reflects the band-aid approach (let's just push back those cuts for another year and deal with it later) once again.  I get that it's a big decision and worth much discussion, but how long can this go on?

Okay - enough about politics.  The title also reflects some things missed "deadlines" in my personal life as well.  First, I managed to maintain my weight all year, but didn't lose any, so I'm not too happy about that.  Second, I really wanted to be out of my parents house by this time, but with my job potentially ending in September, it really isn't practical for me to move out.  So, that's what didn't happen.  Now, let's talk about what did because that's much more fun and exciting!

Highlights of 2012 include:
-Reconnecting with old friends and meeting many new ones
-Being a bridesmaid for the first time in my best friend's wedding
-Celebrating the birth of many babies, including children of cousins and friends, and my sister-in law's new niece
-Taking a fabulous trip to Chicago with my family
-Learning more about and being able to appreciate the history of my mother's family
-Finishing up my year in AmeriCorps and being hired by my host site
-Visiting another best friend in North Carolina
-Running my first 5K just before my first trip to the ocean
-Celebrating Christmas with my wonderful family

Of course, there were some sad times and challenges as well, but that's part of what makes life interesting.

I'm sure you can probably guess what my new year's resolution is: lose weight.  For real.  I don't know what's different about this time, but for some reason, it feels different.  The deadline is June 1 - 135 pounds.

I think part of the difference might come from the fact that I actually feel like I can do it this time.  I've never felt that way before.  I always felt it was this giant, looming, scary goal - but this time it feels like I have the power to make the changes I need to make.  I think the other reason it feels different is because I want to have control over something.  With many things that happened this year, I felt as though I had no control over any of them, which is mostly true.  When life is difficult for me, I need to regain some sense of control, and I know I have control over what, when, and where I eat.  Perhaps that's not a great reason for losing weight, but I think it will work for me.

Okay, I need to wrap up because I'm off to an NYE party shortly!  Happy New Year all!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment